VCAAA UPDATE – 3/18/2020 – COVID-19
A MESSAGE FROM THE VENTURA COUNTY AREA AGENCY ON AGING:
Effective today, March 18th, 2020, many County of Ventura offices will be closed to the public. This closure will be effective through March 31st, at which time County officials and the Board of Supervisors will reassess the closures. County staff will still be on site in the offices and services will continue to be provided to members of the public during the building/facility closures through remote methods of communication, including e-mail, phone, and the internet.
The VCAAA will remain open to the public.
As you know, the County of Ventura remains in a health emergency. On Sunday, Gov. Gavin Newsom recommended that all individuals 65 and older isolate themselves from the public in an effort to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Because of this recommendation, the Ventura County Public Health Officer has issued an order effective today, March 18th, 2020, that all Ventura County residents aged 75 or older are to shelter at their place of residence through April 1st, 2020. In addition, all food service locations, including restaurants, are ordered to cease in-restaurant dining and will only be permitted to serve pick-up orders. Violation or failure to comply with this order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment or both. Please CLICK HERE to see the Ventura County Public Health Order as a reference.
This order makes VCAAA services and the services of our partnering agencies even more critical. Efforts have been heavily focused on ensuring that older adults in Ventura County have the food and supplies they need to stay healthy and safe. We have been promoting the following flyers: Help Your Neighbors and Stay Connected, and encourage you to do the same via social media, e-mail, and in any public setting you deem fitting.
Below is the most current status update for resources and closures in Ventura County:
Important Facts to Know:
- There is currently 1 confirmed positive test
- There are currently 9 presumptive positive tests pending confirmation from the CDC.
- As of 3/17, 193 people have been tested by the Ventura County Public Health Lab
- 25 travelers with no symptoms are on home quarantine in Ventura County
- 1 individual tested positive and then negative twice. This case is pending CDC confirmation.
An additional critical fact: Ventura County Public Health has also suspended any visitors from entering long term care facilities as well as any medical facility. The only exception are end of life visitors. Older adults, especially those with compromised immune systems and underlying respiratory conditions, remain among the most vulnerable populations.
All services at the County level will remain in place, many through remote contact with the public. County facilities that remain open to the public, as well as those open to staff only, have implemented changes to keep staff, clients, and the community as a whole as safe and healthy as possible. Those changes include:
- Social distancing – asking all individuals to keep a 6-foot distance between themselves and others.
- Requesting that all individuals experiencing any kind of illness stay home.
- Canceling and/or postponing events that include 50 or more people.
- Canceling and/or postponing any events, trainings, classes, etc. that are not time sensitive.
- Identifying and establishing the option for staff to work remotely (when feasible) to lessen person-to-person contact.
- Increasing the frequency of sanitization of offices.
The VCAAA will remain open to the public and is implementing all of the above-mentioned practices. . Most VCAAA services remain operating at this time, with the exception of Fall Prevention Classes, SNAP-Ed classes, and in-person nutrition counseling. Specific health and safety procedures for VCAAA programs include:
- Fall Prevention Classes –all Fall Prevention Program classes have been canceled.
- Senior Nutrition Counseling Services and Classes – In-person nutrition counseling and SNAP-Ed classes have been canceled, however counseling via telephone is available. For more information call (805) 477-7300.
- Senior Nutrition Program Meal Sites – Please see below for information related to the Senior Nutrition Program meal sites.
- Care Management Programs – All home visits are currently suspended, but wellness checks via phone will continue. The VCAAA is working to identify clients who are facing isolation due to the health emergency to ensure that they have the food, supplies, and necessary support.
- AARP Tax Services – AARP tax services have been suspended at the VCAAA at this time.
- VACE Classes at VCAAA Campus – All VACE classes have been canceled at this time.
Please be sure to emphasize to clients that while many community and senior centers, as well as other service sites, are temporarily closing, the VCAAA’s office will remain open and the Information & Assistance team will be on hand to answer calls and assist clients as they navigate these difficult times.
Current Status of Ventura County Senior Centers and Senior Nutrition Program Meal Sites:
- Brenda’s Casamia (Piru): Operating with pick-up meals only. For more information call (805) 521-0694.
- Camarillo Health Care District: The District remains open, but all classes and programs have been canceled. Home delivered meal services will continue without interruption. The District offers a congregate meal option on the third Thursday of each month, which has been canceled. A pick-up option is available until further notice. For more information call (805) 388-1952.
- Fillmore Active Adult Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meal services are continuing as usual. There is not a meal pick-up option at this time. Individuals in need of a meal are asked to call the Fillmore Active Adult Center at (805) 524-3030.
- Goebel Active Adult Center: Closed indefinitely. Congregate meal participants have the option to pick-up a hot meal Monday through Friday from 11:30-1:30. For more information call (805) 381-2744.
- HELP of Ojai: All older adult activities have been discontinued indefinitely. Congregate meal services will be discontinued but home delivered meals will continue as usual. No pick-up option is available, but congregate meal participants will be temporarily included in the home delivered meal program. Transportation service to doctor’s appointments and the grocery store are also available. For more information call (805) 646-5122.
- Moorpark Senior Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meal services will continue with no interruption. Congregate meal participants will have the option to pick-up a frozen meal daily. Only caregivers and individuals under the age of 65 are permitted to pick-up meals. For more information call (805) 517-6261.
- Orvene S. Carpenter Senior Center (Port Hueneme): All programs and events have been canceled, but doors remain open. There will be no interruption to home delivered meal services. A pick-up meal option is also available. For more information call (805) 986-6542.
- Palm Vista Senior Center (Oxnard): Closed indefinitely. A pick-up meal option is available. For more information call (805) 385-8163.
- Pleasant Valley Senior Center (Camarillo): Center is closed through March 31st. No VCAAA meal services are offered through this center.
- Santa Paula Senior Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meals will continue to be delivered. Congregate meal participants will have the option to pick-up a hot meal daily from 11:30-12:30. For more information call (805) 933-4226 ext. 356.
- Simi Valley Senior Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meals will continue to be delivered. Congregate meal participants will have the option to pick-up a meal daily from 11:30-1:00 Monday through Friday. For more information call (805) 583-6363.
- South Oxnard Senior Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meal services continue in Oxnard without interruption. There is no meal pick-up option. For more information call (805) 385-8042.
- Ventura Avenue Active Adult Center: Closed indefinitely. Home delivered meal services are operating as usual. Congregate meal participants have the option to pick-up a frozen meal daily. For more information call (805) 648-3035.
- Wilson Senior Center (Oxnard): Closed indefinitely with no interruption to home delivered meal services. Congregate meal participants will have the option to pick-up a hot meal Monday through Friday from 11:30-12. For more information call (805) 385-8o28.
Food Share Update:
- Food Share is operating as usual and is providing continued support to area agencies and organizations. If your site is in need of food, or if you know a group or organization that can benefit from Food Share’s services, please call (805) 983-7100. For a list of food pantries throughout Ventura County that are not part of the VCAAA’s Senior Nutrition Program, please visit https://foodshare.com/findhelp/.
Current Status of Adult Day Care Facilities and Other Centers:
- Advanced Adult Day Health Care (Simi Valley): Closed indefinitely. For more information call (805) 526-7629.
- Among Friends (Oxnard): Operating as usual. For more information call (805) 385-7244.
- Camarillo Health Care District: The District’s adult day program is currently closed.
- Millennium Care Adult Day Health Care Center (Simi Valley): Closed indefinitely. For more information call (805) 583-0859.
- Oxnard Family Circle: Operating as usual at this time. For more information call (805) 385-4180.
- Senior Concerns (Thousand Oaks): Closed until further notice. Main phone lines will be answered 10-3 daily. All seminars, support groups, etc. will be suspended or moved to phone. Staff will be communicating with families regularly to assess needs. Meals on Wheels service will continue operating as usual. For more information call (805) 497-0189.
- Ventura Adult Continuing Education (VACE): All classes are canceled until further notice.
- Ventura County Adult Day Health (Oxnard): Closed indefinitely. For more information call (805) 278-4321.
Current Status of Dementia Friendly Ventura County Memory Cafes:
- Camarillo Artful Connections: All CHCD activities are suspended indefinitely. For more information call (805) 388-1952.
- Fillmore You Are My Sunshine: Operating as usual. Next Café is not until September.
- Oxnard Garden of Memories: April 11th Café is canceled.
- Simi Valley Memory Cafe at Sunrise Wood Ranch: April 5th Memory Café is canceled.
- Thousand Oaks Senior Concerns Cafe: All events are suspended until further notice.
Current Status of Additional Services:
- Ventura County Libraries: All Ventura County libraries are currently closed until further notice.
- Veterans Services Field Offices: All Ventura County Veterans Services Office Field Offices are temporarily closed. Voicemails can be left at (805) 477-5155 and a VSO staff member will return the call.
- Ombudsman Services: Ombudsman staff and volunteers are currently restricted from entering any long term care facilities. The office, however, remains open and volunteers are communicating with residents via phone. For more information, call (805) 656-1986.
- Grey Law: Grey Law’s doors are closed, but the phone lines remain open for phone appointments only. To make a phone appointment, please call (805) 658-2266.
Grocery Store Early Service Options: Several grocery stores throughout Ventura County are allowing older adults, individuals with disabilities, and pregnant women to shop early and without crowds. I am certain there are more grocery stores offering this service, meaning this list is not exhaustive. Please inform us of additional stores you know of that are providing this service. For now, the list includes:
- Gelsons 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. – 7 days a week – 1736 E. Avenida De Los Arboles, Thousand Oaks
- Smart & Final – 7:30 – 8 a.m. – 7 days a week – all Ventura County locations
- Super A 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. – 7 days a week – Fillmore
- Target 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. Wednesdays only – this is a corporate effort at all Ventura County locations
- Vallarta 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. – 7 days a week – 2690 E. Vineyard Ave, Oxnard & 1050 S. A Street, Oxnard
- Vons 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Monday through Friday – this is a corporate effort at all Ventura County locations
- Whole Foods – 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. 7 days a week beginning 3/19 – this is a corporate effort at all Ventura County locations
Quick reminder that www.vcemergency.com is the best source for local updates related to COVID-19. A COVID-19 hotline has been established for immediate concerns. That number is: 805-465-6650. There is a vast amount of information available through VCEmergency.com, including print resources, videos, guidelines, and additional facts and resources related to closures.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to follow the County of Ventura and Ventura County Area Agency on Aging on social media for updates that are shareable with the community. These updates are also accessible to the public at www.vcaaa.org/news-events/.